Acai palms produce acai berries. These berries are not only delicious but have numerous health advantages, too. While berries are everyone’s favorite, you should know the difference between blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and acai berries.
Acai berries are the most beneficial to your health as they contain the most antioxidants. However, they have a very short lifetime. Therefore, we will learn how to grow them in this article.
Acai palms thrive in warm weather. Therefore, if you want to grow acai berries, you need to provide these trees with the required warmth and ample exposure to the sun.
In case you live in a cold region, don’t be discouraged. Plant them in a container and let them grow under favorable conditions.
The Growth of Acai Palms
Acai palms are very tall. If you do not restrict them in a container or a small yard, they can grow up to 80 feet. Therefore, the ideal place for acai palms is a large yard.
However, most people do not have access to a lot of ground space. In this case, you can cut the largest trunk of these trees to restrict their growth to a certain extent.
The Growth of Acai Berry
Acai berries grow on acai palms. Once you let the trees grow, you need to be mindful of their length and provide them with ample care. You can either grow acai berry from its seeds or buy them, separate the pulp, take the remaining seed, and soak them before planting them inside a large container.
How to Plant the Seeds of Acai Palm Berries
- Prepare a mixture used to grow the seeds of acai berries.
- The ideal ingredients of this mixture are vermiculite and shredded coconut coir.
- Mix these ingredients until they are ready to grow acai palm berries.
- Take this raising mix and place it inside a bowl. Make sure the bowl is deep enough to accommodate acai palm berry seeds.
- Now plant the acai berry seeds one inch deep inside the bowl.
- Now, cover the bowl properly. You can use a plastic bag to carry the seed-ridden bowl.
- Place the covered bowl under direct sunlight.
- To provide additional heat, you can use a heating mat and place it securely under the bowl of seeds.
- Acai seeds take approximately two months to evolve finally.
Tips to Grow Acai Palm Berries
- The ideal place for growing acai palms is moist, slightly acidic soil, where you can position them under the shadow.
- Plant them during fall as it the harvest time of these trees.
- Make sure that there are enough drainage holes at the bottom of the container.
- Ensure that the temperature is above 21 degrees Celsius.
- Acai palms grow very fast. Therefore, you need to change the pots every six months as soon as they grow out of their container.
- Make sure to plant one tree if you have a small yard. The acai trees can self-pollinate.
- Look out for purple flowers. Once these flowers start to appear, acai berries are not too far.
The acai palms grow best in a large yard. However, they require constant attention and care for years. It usually takes three to five years to grow these trees.
Once they bear fruit, you can enjoy the earthy taste of acai berries. They might not be as sweet as other berries; however, these berries are beneficial for your health.